Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What I -would- do as a job (Part 3)

Okay, okay...this will be my last one about jobs, Its just such a huge part of my life and this part is the most fun, so hopefully you think so too.

Here's how it started...even though I love working with dogs and cats and little critters, i've always had a passion for exotic animals, more specifically marine animals, Ooooo, I mean you can tell by my blogs name that I looooove Whales so much, its insane sometimes.

So my parents are the most amazing people in the world, and gave me the opportunity to get a taste of my dream, for my 18th birthday they sent me to SeaWorld to "Be a keeper for a week"...
 It was amazing! We spent hours with the Beluga whales, they are the most amazing creatures in the world, we got to experience so much with these animals it was soooo amazing!
 Fun fact: Anyone remember those superbowl commercials from a couple years ago when the little donkey wanted to be a Clydesdale horse? Well that sweet little lady up there is the star of those commercials! I totally got to meet someone famous... :-)
 I got to sit on a Walrus...Which is alot more terrifying than you would think...haha.
 Got to feed the dolphins...and give them pets and all sorts of stuff.
 I got to play with baby penguins
 And this kind sirs name is Spanky...and if you can't tell, he's smiling.
 Which brings me to the amazing opportunity I got to experience when I came back to Montana. I got to work at the zoo! As a real keeper... ^ theres me with Iggy the Iguana talking to kindergarteners about reptiles and how she came to be at our zoo.
 This little guys is Clifford...Who is a baby big horn who we bottle fed and raised by hand (There are some old posts of going in the middle of the night for bottles feeding duty), sadly he had a very bad injury and needed to be humanely euthanized.
 And yes folks...that is a porcupine, and her name is Pauhi and she's painting in this picture, I have a huge painting that she did in my living room and it's probably the best piece of artwork we have in the entire house....she is the sweetest little thing, she was raised as a little baby and loved people, she'd crawl up on your lap and chirp to you, strangely you'd never think porcupines could be so sweet.
 The sweeeeeetest thing I ever got to do at the zoo was work on the tigers, although working as a keeper was amazing, I really missed the medical aspect of the animal world, drawing blood and physical exams and all that stuff, well luckily the vet that worked there was amazing and knew that I was certified and wanted to make my job as rewarding as possible (I love people like that) So he let me help whenever we did 'take downs' at the zoo, or were doing any animal exams, (which isn't everyday mind you) So on this particular day, I got to help with the Tiger exam...it was amazing, a dream come true...This is the only picture I have from that day, but i'll cherish it forever..
I left the zoo, due to personal conflicts with the director at the zoo and other employees, again, it's hard with jobs in small communities and when you know the 'inside' of certain things its hard to keep going when the guilt eats away at you when you know whats happening behind the scenes and that people are being lied to....So I left, I miss it everyday...I won't lie about that, but I've determined I either need to move to a bigger city or wait for our community to grow larger.

Anyway...thats my story, just a lil chunk of my life... :-)

Preggers update tomorrow, it might be long and ranty, i've been dealing with some icky stuff, but i'll leave it for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment