Saturday, December 10, 2011

What I do for a job (part 2)

When I took mateo in for his first puppy shots my mom mentioned to the vet that I wanted to start volunteering or working an after school job to occupy my time, and the vet offered me a part time job right then and there!

I worked after school through my Senior Year of highschool and started full time once I graduated, since I still didn't know what I wanted to do as far as college went...After a year had gone by, I decided that since I loved my job so much I wanted to make it 'official'. I made the decision to move to Minnesota to go to Veterinary Technician school, earn a degree and become certified in my passion.


 I went to school for two years and lived with my sister who also had gone to school out there (And of course I brought my mateo with me) I learned soooo much stuff and just fell deeper in love with the profession. I've always loved science and the way things work, and being able to cuddle and love on animals all day, is just the best feeling in the world.


Now alot of people don't understand what exactly we do...because we are classified as "The nurses of the pet world" But we do alot more than people realize...we draw blood, put in catheters, take x-rays, monitor surgery, assist in surgery,  anesthetize animals,  recover animals, do dentals, trim nails, wrap casts, medicate, run labwork, look at slides, fill prescriptions, clean kennels,  calculate doses...just a few things here and there :-) But really...ALOT!
 Now don't get me wrong, there are alot of parts of the job that are not enjoyable, infact the one thing that everyone asks me "How do you deal with putting animals to sleep?" And I just have to tell them that 90% of the job is not doing that, its nursing animals back to health, or maintaining that they stay healthy and educating people on how to take care of their animals.

In the small percentage of loss that we have at the clinic you have to have an understanding, that MOST of the time when we are putting an animal to sleep its because they are in pain, or suffering, and we have the opportunity of putting them into a peaceful state that is free from pain and misery. Now believe me, that still doesn't make it easy, somedays we find ourselves bawling right along side the owners, because we all know what its like to love something so much.


I find Joy in the work I do everyday, and theres nothing else I could see doing for a career. This is my passion, this is my life and I couldn't do anything else....In the next part, i'm going to talk about another chapter in my life that was amazing and I will cherish for my entire life..

No comments:

Post a Comment